Sunday, 11 August 2013

Online Identity

Ever heard the expression “just Google it?” I know I’ve had my share of Google moments but what intrigues me the most is that technological jargon is becoming increasing predominant in our everyday activities and conversations; playing a much larger role in our lives than I had initially anticipated.  With the development of Web 2.0 comes a new era of digital culture and with that the issue of online identity and social networking.


                                                                     (Image by Kylie Louie, 10 August 2013.)


According to Hills (2009), he suggests that today’s youth is utilising mobile digital media technologies to establish our online identities stressing that the ability to take and upload images almost instantaneously has played a major role in this development. Furthermore, profile pictures are also ‘a short hand for changing, up-to-the-minute performances of self.’ (Hills 2010, p. 118) Moreover, profile pictures are one of the easiest ways to represent ourselves online and can give an insight to the individual without having ever met them. Although I don’t change my profile picture that frequently on my social networking sites, particularly Facebook, they usually consist of the same picture of me at the beach and the odd shameful “selfie.” Except 1. I don’t particularly like the beach and 2. I find “selfies” annoying. Hypocritical you might say, but why have that as my profile picture? Although my Facebook page is personal I do try to upload pictures that are considered somewhat formal as well as I am still cautious of future employers browsing my page. Profile pictures can say a thousand words but with profile pictures constantly being uploading and changing is it really an accurate representation of our real self?

Marshall (2010) links celebrity culture to the development of our online identity and contends that it is an important factor on how we present ourselves to the world. I follow quite a few celebrities on twitter but mostly for styling, fashion and beauty related advice. I do believe that celebrities have influenced our online personas whether sporting a ‘selfie’ profile picture or trying to sport Kim Kardashian’s signature makeup look it has undoubtedly influenced the way we ‘prune’ ourselves online to our celebrity counterparts.  
 

Video by Gossmakeupartist, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBLHE0ME-GA, retrieved  10 August 2013)
 
 
Chalkley (2013) and Ellison et al. (2007) both imply that the next challenge of innovation will not be more advanced phones or even faster data but rather our definitions of ‘friends’, ‘community’ and ‘society.’ Furthermore, Ellison (2007) contends that with the technological developments with the internet it can have positive and negative effects on the individual. I myself still wonder out of all the 500 ‘friends’ I have on Facebook, I only talk to about 10 on a regular basis and whilst I may get a few likes on every status that I post I can still feel lonely; as our ‘online identity’ quickly expands will our real life identity get lost in the process?

Bibliography

Ellison et al. (2007), ‘The Benefits of Facebook “Friends:” Social Capital and College Students’ Use of Online Social Network Sites’, Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 1143-1168                  

Marshall, P D 2010, ‘The promotion and presentation of the self: celebrity as marker of presentational media’, Celebrity Studies, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 35-48

Hills, M 2009, ‘Case study: social networking and self-identity’, in Creeber, G and Martin, R (eds.), Digital Cultures: Understanding New Media, Open University Press, Maidenhead, pp. 117-21

Chalkley, T 2013, ‘Teen identity in the digital age: who exactly is “me” now days?’, conference paper presented at Transformational Communication and the New Asia, Asian Media Information and Communication Centre, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
CONTOUR AND HIGHLIGHT LIKE KIM KARDASHIAN - STEP BY STEP. Video, 7 June 2012, gossmakeupartist, date retrieved: 10 August 2013, <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBLHE0ME-GA>

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kylie, a great blog post.
    I really like tone of this article. It is obvious that a lot of thought and research has gone into constructing this post and despite regular quotes and references, the conversational tone of the article makes the piece more relaxed and easy to read. I really liked that you consistently referred to your own experiences throughout the post as well and the academic references are spot-on with the questions you pose the reader. Particularly as media students we must remain really conscious of our online identity as you have recognised in your post. This post will be getting me to keep thinking even after I close the window. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kylie, I agree with Jessica in that your blog appears to be very well researched and informative, yet still maintains that relaxed tone which retains the reader’s attention. I love the discussion about profile pictures; it really got me thinking about mine and the reasons behind my choice of photograph. Like you, I tend to be weary of employers and try to be somewhat formal. However, I realised that I do choose pictures that I believe accurately represent my personality or interests. I choose pictures that I think can present me in the way I wish to be perceived. For example, when I was on exchange last semester and travelling around Europe almost every weekend, I choose profile pictures that could display where I was at that given point in time, hoping to convey to family and friends that I was having a great time travelling and seeing some amazing sights. So in that sense, I think that profile pictures do, somewhat, portray an accurate representation of self. Overall, this was a great piece of work and I look forward to reading some more of your blogs. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I pretty much agree with the comments before me. Great job on this post! I love the casual and conversational tone of this piece, it makes it so easy and enjoyable to read. However you have also still incorporated a decent amount scholarly sources which back up your points. Also very relatable in regards to your personal experiences, I definitely began to think about my display picture and I completely agree with you, although I despise selfies I do indeed show one. A good choice of Media was also used to emphasise your points such as the makeup tutorial of Kim K. My only critique which really is nit picking is that I am not particularly sure which blog post alternative according to Chris this is? Perhaps this can be made a little clearer next time. Overall a great job though!

    - S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kylie
    An interesting post on the world of social media and I liked you tying in your own use of a 'profile picture' to back up your point. I think when you say we may lose ourselves that you're half right. I believe that when we update our profile picture or status we want to put out a representation of ourselves at the best moment at that current time. Social Media has provided new insecurities, and so the need for some people to update their Facebook constantly is a message to people that they aren't getting boring. It seems to be a mask to hide their other reality that family and close friends know about, and being comfortable with them eliminates the need to change in that aspect.
    Thanks for the read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone, I am Adorjan Adelmo from Yasinya village Ukraine and I just want to say a very resounding thanks  to Pedro Financial loan services for their sincerity, Openness, Transparency, Truthfulness, Love and support during and after getting loan funds from them. I have been through a lot in the hands of in life and time won’t permit me to say all that I went through in the year of pandemic but God answered my prayers through the support and love from pedro Financial loan services who embraced me and understood me despite my initial doubt and unseriousness and with his good heart and love I am now a home owner through his 3% interest rate loan funds and I have vow to spread this news and also tell the world that there are still genuine and few good online loan firms out there that can assist and also revive a dry bone like I was.
    Don’t fail to listen and read this testimony because this is a true life changing experience and anyone that needs this kind of turn around should not hesitate or doubt this because I have proven and I swear to God in Heaven that this story is real and also the story of my experience with them .
    Contact them today for Consolidated loan, business loan, home loan, car loan, personal loan.

    Email:    pedroloanss@gmail.com
    Whats-App: +1-8632310632

    ReplyDelete